Workforce Program Director
Introduction to the Trades
Construction is a growing industry in the United States and encompasses a variety of specializations. This career is ideal for people who like to work outside of an office environment, use their hands, and are interested in learning to use a variety of tools, machinery, and equipment.
This program provides a thorough introduction to the construction trades, including Masonry, Carpentry, Plumbing, and Electrical, and prepares individuals to enter the workforce right here in Erie County.
Pennsylvania is among the top 5 States with the highest employment level for carpenters. The average salary for a Carpenter in Pennsylvania is $26.64/hour.
Many industries employ individuals skilled in construction trades:
- Residential Building Construction
- Nonresidential Building Construction
- Building Finishing Contractors
- Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution
- Foundation, Structure, and Building Exterior Contractors
- Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction
- Utility System Construction
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify, use, and care for a wide variety of hand tools.
- Perform 3-D positive 2x cuts.
- Perform aluminum bending
- Interpret a complete set of blueprint drawings
- Form, pour, finish, and strip concrete.
- Construct a straight, level, and plumb block wall to given dimensions.
- Successfully sweat a leak-free pipe assembly using proper boxes, wire, connectors, gauge, and plates.
- Calculate and cut a common rafter from a given span, pitch, and ridge.
- Lay out and cut a stair stringer to match a rise dimension.