28-Week Clinical Medical Assistant Training Program in Erie, PA
Next Start Date
September 18, 2023
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM – 3 PM
28 weeks (7 months)
This hands-on program allows students to earn a Clinical Medical Assistant certificate in a state-of-the-art facility. Graduates are prepared to work in a variety of medical jobs where the average salary for a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant in Pennsylvania is $16.67/hour.
Applications for the 2022 program are currently closed.
The next enrollment period begins in February 2023.
Your Career as a Medical Assistant
Medical Assistants communicate between doctors and patients and play a significant role in patient advocacy. They are masters of a wide range of skills and assist with both clinical and administrative tasks. These tasks include scheduling appointments, filing and updating medical charts, taking vital signs, and drawing blood.
Medical Assistant Administrative Duties:
- Answering phones and scheduling appointments
- Greeting patients and their families
- Filing and updating medical records
- Coding and completing insurance forms
- Schedule hospital procedures or special laboratory tests
- Handling billing, bookkeeping, and general office mail
- Utilize EHR (Electronic Health Records) to navigate through patient charts
Medical Assistant Clinical Duties
- Recording symptoms and updating medical histories
- Giving injections and immunizations
- Collecting and preparing laboratory samples or performing basic lab tests
- Assisting doctors during physical exams
- Discussing prescription and dietary changes with patients
- Performing vital signs
- Handling prescription refill requests
- Removing stitches or changing wound dressings
- Drawing blood for lab tests
- Doing electrocardiograms (heart test) and other medical tests
Medical Assistants are trained to work in many different healthcare settings, including physician offices, clinics, group practices, and outpatient facilities.
Employment of Medical Assistants is projected to grow 18 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. The average salary for a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant in Pennsylvania is $17.67/hour.
If this sounds like the career for you, the Clinical Medical Assistant program will prepare you for this growing field.
Next Start Date
September 18, 2023
Tuition is offered at no financial cost to any student. Supplies such as scrubs, stethoscopes, and school laptops are also provided at no cost.
Costs associated with clearances, immunizations, screenings, driver’s license or PA State ID, and/or transcripts are the applicant’s responsibility.
Classes meet Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM at the ECAT Wayne Building. The program takes 28 weeks (7 months) to complete.
Quarter 1: September 1 – November
Quarter 2: November – January
Quarter 3: February – March
Quarter 4: April – May (4 week externship)
- Anatomy & Physiology/Medical Terminology I-III
- Clinical Procedures & Laboratory Techniques I-III
- Communications & Professional Skills
- Electronic Health Records I-II
- Fundamentals of Medical Assisting I-II
- Basic Life Support (American Heart Association)
- Computers and Professional Skills
- 4 week externship (after core classes have been successfully completed)
Our program includes a dedicated Student Support team that helps remove barriers that might get in the way of your success.
We work with you to solve problems related to childcare, transportation and stress by connecting you with solutions right here in your community. At ECAT, we’re invested in your success and will be with you every step of the way!
To participate in ECAT Clinical Medical Assistant program you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Complete a math and reading assessment
- Obtain all required clearances and immunizations
- Pass all screenings